Sunday, November 21, 2010

TSA

For my first political post I decided to do something easy the controversy over the new "security" measures while flying. Let's me start by reviewing how we got here. It all started with a horrible day in September nine years ago. Most of us remember 9/11! Eleven hijackers hijacked four plans and ran them into the twin towers, the Pentagon, and a field in PA. After that security got a little tighter at airports. You couldn't take certain things on airplanes. You still can not take anything sharp including fingernail clippers and tweezers. We had the Christmas bomber. He strapped explosives in his shoes, so we are now required to take off our shoes as we go through the metal detectors. Last, but defiantly not least we had the last guy now known as the underwear bomber. He had explosives in his underwear and now we are supposed to go through a screening, that basically strips us of our clothes. If we do not want the fully body scan then we must submit for a full body pat down. This includes groping for women and men alike. Do we really need this to protect our flight. I personally will not fly. It is not worth the lost of privacy. There must be a better way to protect our citizens then to take away their privacy. I don't know if you have heard the stories of the women with a prothesis breast that was forced to show it to the security officers, or seen the video of the women being completely "filled up". There is a new video on youtube showing a little boy with his shirt off getting a pat down, really is that necessary. What have all these different security measures really done to make air travel safer. Sense 9/11 there have been two other attempts, both times the men made it to there seats. The explosives didn't work correctly. I don't believe a cancer survivor with a fake breast or a 8 year old boy are going to be trying to blow up an airplane. Is it really that bad to profile. There is a show on T.V. called Criminal Minds it's about PROFILERS! They call them behavior analysts, but they are basically profiling. Why can't we just be honest with ourselves. There is one type of person who is trying to blow up airplanes and until that is proven wrong let's stick with the profile instead of taking away our privacy. I know that I will not fly again until they stop the full body scans, or pat downs. If you have seen those pat downs you know that it would be sexual assault at any other time. This is a complete stranger, it can not be a comfortable situation. If I was the airliners I'd be lobbying really hard to get this particular security measures revoked. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

It seems like it's such a delicate balance that we have to maintain here. We have to protect our country and our privacy. So, I guess we have to decide which is more important and do our best on the other. The stories are horrendous. It's bad enough that my coworker had to take a sweater off just to go through security. She was extremely uncomfortable in her tank top, and couldn't wait to get it back on. Do we really have to make people strip down?

I flew this weekend from Dulles to SLC, thinking I'd experience the scan and/or pat down... but I didn't. Everything went on business as usual.

Maghann said...

Agree. Agree. Agree. There has got to be a better way. I can not stand that this is even being allowed. It crosses a line. Not only does it strip us of our clothes, but the TSA body scanners will expose us to ionizing radiation that causes cancer.

bandkworky said...

There really does have to be a better way. I'm glad Jenn that it was business as usual for you. I just think that really have all these security measures really helped in protecting us. People still try to blow up airplanes and almost have.

Jenn said...

Yeah... what I don't understand is that they say that the U.S. has the strictest security when it comes to airplane travel, and that no other country is doing what we are. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard...

So... how much are we really protecting our soil if other countries are letting people fly into U.S. cities without going to these measures? I don't really get it.